At SouthCentre Eye Clinic, we believe that informed patients are empowered patients. We have collated some of the most common questions we receive during eye exams to enlighten you about the process, its importance, and its implications for your eye health.
- Why do I need regular eye exams?
Eye exams are not just about checking your prescription for glasses or contact lenses but about assessing overall eye health. They aid in the early detection of eye diseases, many of which can be asymptomatic until advanced stages.
- How often should I have an eye exam?
The frequency of eye exams depends on age, health conditions, and risk factors. As a rule of thumb, adults should have a comprehensive eye exam every one to two years.
- What is involved in a comprehensive eye exam?
A comprehensive eye exam involves a series of tests to assess your vision and check for eye diseases. It typically includes a vision check, an eye muscle performance test, and a detailed eye examination.
- Can an eye exam detect other health issues?
Absolutely. Eye exams can reveal signs of systemic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, and some cancers.
- How can I best prepare for my eye exam?
Come prepared with knowledge of your family’s eye health history, a list of any medications you’re taking, your current eyewear, if applicable, and any symptoms or problems you’ve noticed.
- We also encourage patients to consider these tips for maximizing their eye exam benefits:
- Write Down Your Questions: To ensure all your concerns are addressed.
- Disclose Symptoms: Even minor ones could be significant.
- Know Your Family History: Genetic factors often affect eye health.
- Bring Your Current Eyewear: It helps the optometrist assess your vision needs better.
At SouthCentre Eye Clinic, we highly emphasize patient education and open dialogue. We invite all your questions, concerns, and discussions about your eye health. Book your eye exam with us today, and let’s discuss your vision wellness.
Mayo Clinic. (2019). Eye exam. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/eye-exam/about/pac-20384655
American Optometric Association. (2021). Recommended Eye Examination Frequency for Pediatric Patients and Adults. https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/caring-for-your-vision/comprehensive-eye-and-vision-examination/recommended-examination-frequency-for-pediatric-patients-and-adults
National Eye Institute. (2019). What to Expect During a Comprehensive Dilated Eye Exam. https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/eye-conditions-and-diseases/how-eye-doctor-checks-your-eyes
American Optometric Association. (2021). Eye Exams Can Reveal Serious Health Conditions. https://www.aoa.org/news/clinical-eye-care/eye-exams-can-reveal-serious-health-conditions